Driver plows through Little League baseball field, killing man who once confessed to fatal hit-and-run

Make sure to let us know what you think... we now have comments turned ON below the article!

A Maine woman with a history of drunk driving drove her car onto a Little League baseball field on Friday evening, sending children and parents scrambling and killing one older man who was attempting to close a large gate.

In a strikingly ironic coincidence, the man run down and killed by the woman had confessed just five years ago to his own involvement in a fatal 1968 hit-and-run accident.

According to the Portland Press Herald, 51-year-old Carol Sharrow was later arrested and charged with manslaughter after she drove her Honda sedan onto a baseball field in Sanford, ME, plowing through locked gates and sending kids running for their lives.

She ultimately struck and killed 68-year-old Douglas Parkhurst as he attempted to close an open gate to prevent her from escaping. Police don’t believe there was any connection between the Sharrow and Parkhurst.

Prior to driving onto the ballfield, witnesses stated that Sharrow initially attempted to drive onto a set of basketball courts, but was blocked by a line of large boulders.

Police noted that Sharrow had two prior drunk driving convictions, one in Maine and another in New Hampshire, though it remains unclear if alcohol played a role in this deadly incident.

And in what can only be described as an ironic twist of fate, the man struck and killed by Sharrow was a confessed hit-and-run drunk driver himself.

A separate report from the Press Herald pointed out that Parkhurst — who was at the ballfield to cheer on his grandson’s team — had confessed to police in 2013 his involvement in a fatal hit-and-run accident that occured in New York in 1968.

Parkhurst admitted that he had been drinking with his brother on Halloween night when he struck and killed 4-year-old Carolee Ashby, who had been walking along a road with her older sister.

Police from New York who were reviewing the unsolved murder had tracked down Parkhurst — who had been a suspect in 1968 — to ask him more questions in 2013 about the reopened cold case.

[show_poll poll_id=337]

After two separate interviews with police, Parkhurst signed a four-page confession to the girl’s death but escaped any charges in the incident due to the statute of limitations having already expired.

While the frightening incident in Maine that claimed Parkhurst’s life and endangered others was certainly tragic and traumatizing for the children, one of the New York investigators who’d long sought an answer to the Ashby case said of Parkhurst’s death: “God works in mysterious ways.”

202 Responses

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.